Monday, February 22, 2010

The Red Elephant

Since this Blog is about Cole Slaw, here is my first official restaurant review. Last Friday, we ate at a fairly new restaurant called the Red Elephant Pizza and Grill Restaurant off San Jose Blvd. It is a family-themed sports bar, kinda like The Loop, but with a small bar, game room and more flat screen TVs. Instead of ordering pizza (like the title of the place), I was hungry for a burger and ordered that instead. We had a coupon for a free app, so we selected the Bacon Cheese Fries. After ordering the burger, I was given the chance to have fries, vegetables, rice, fruit or cole slaw as a side. When I heard cole slaw as an option (and since we already had the Bacon Cheese Fries coming), I had to go with the slaw. When I said that, the Waiter was quick to point out that it was a vinegar-based. I said sure, even though I prefer mayo based cole slaw. The Slaw came and it was nothing to write home about. It was vinegar based and was fairly weak with the vinegar and seasoning. Overall it was lacking taste, dry and was served closer to room temperature, than cold. So after my first bite, I knew I didn't like it, but still finished the entire cup. Overall I would rate The Red Elephant a C- for its cole slaw. Once I get better with this Blog, I will remember to take and upload photos.

3 comments:

  1. I'm not a coleslaw fan but i especially wouldn't trust a vinegar based coleslaw. That just sounds WRONG.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The waiter knew that you were a mayo based cole slaw kind of guy. I commend you for finishing the entire cup despite it not agreeing with your discerning cole slaw tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually had some 'slaw' at a Mardi Gras celebration for our Rotary Club a week ago. When I was at Rotary this morning I got the receipe. I loved it... Give this a try;

    1 bag angel hair shredded cabbage
    2/3 Cup Mayo (Kraft is suggested)
    2 TBS Cider Vinegar
    4 tsp Sugar
    1 tsp of Celery Seed
    * Mix all ingredients except the cabbage together and blend till smooth (sugar dissolves)
    * Add cabbage and refrigerate for a while

    ReplyDelete