Friday, February 19, 2010

Sequins

As I watched the Winter Olympics from Vancouver last night, I had a question to myself that I couldn't answer. Why are sequins the dominating feature of Men's Figure skating attire? Every skater last night looked like a diamond necklace from Jared being thrown across the ice (I wonder if these men go to Jared for their jewerly shopping?). I really don't know any men who wears Sequins in everyday fashion (Do you?). Ever see a man in a maroon sweater with sparking gold sequins at the mall? At church? In the grocery store? Shopping at Wal-Mart? I have been to various countries throughout the world and I have never seen some man walking down the street in Melbourne wearing sequin pants or in Paris with a sequin t-shirt. I have been to numerous sporting events as well and don't see sequins on any other uniforms that athletes wear. You don't see NFL jerseys with the numbers outlined in sequins. Baseball players don't wear uniforms with sequinstripes. Tennis players don't have sequin headbands or sequin wriststraps. What is up with the costumes? With all the sequins and fake tuxedos and whatever else they are wearing, you would think you would just put something on more comfortable to skate around in. Shorts and a t-shirt maybe? That would be fine with me. Why all the long pants and sleeves? If you are really good skater, you don't have to worry about falling down and getting cold on the ice, so you would think you would go with comfort over style. Just once, I would like see a skater come out on the ice dressed like Larry the Cable Guy wearing some cut-off jeans, a tow truck shirt and a red baseball cap. He might even get a bonus point or two just for now wearing sequins. Anyway, I am turning to the loyal readers of C&M to give me an answer.

4 comments:

  1. Maybe because figure skating is more theater than sport they need costumes?

    I would have thought you might have run into a guy wearing sequins in Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meek, that guy in Paris wearing sequins would have been Slaw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sequins on guys should not happen if u ask me. Unless it's a dress up party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If there's Glitter involved it's not a real sport.
    http://blog.cockroachlair.com/?m=200911

    ~Cockroach

    ReplyDelete