Tuesday, March 2, 2010

First Review


This blogging stuff gets away from you after a few days. If you don't keep up with it daily, you don't realize the 3 or 4 people who regualarly read this blog and want content daily. Actually demand content! I apologize to all my dedicated readers for letting a few updates slip, but will get back to the core of C&M. No I am not going to blog about PSU Football (yet), the Ebay room (yet), or more chores for Travis. I am going to write about Cole Slaw. A week ago to the day, I came home from work and my wonderful wife had a great surprise for me for dinner. Not only did she prepare a great Chicken/Mushroom dish as the entree, but much to my surprise, she had cole slaw as a side dish. Now when I first saw this, I just wanted to dig in and eat it, but had to wait for dinner. Now this wasn't any of grocery store slaw, but homemade cole slaw, put together via a bag of shredded cabbage and T. Marzetti Lite Slaw Dressing. It looked delicous, fresh, crisp, moist. If I owned a restaurant, I would put this cole slaw in a display. It was worthy of not being eaten, but being Display Cole Slaw. I was excited for dinner to start so I could dig in! So after we sat down and took my first bite, I realized this wasn't great cole slaw. In fact, it wasn't that good. It was poor. It just didn't taste very well. Now this didn't stop me from eating it all, but let's just say we won't be eating this recipe again anytime soon. It was dry and not moist. Lacked any flavor or spice. Bland in taste. The cabbage overpowered the dressing, and the texture was like eating straw. In fact it had an "earthy" taste to it. I thought I was eating something organic. Rehashing how this was made, many mistakes were made, but don't worry, we will learn from this as we move forward. First, we used Lite Slaw Dressing. Less calories=less fat=less taste. Second, amount of dressing. This bottle of Slaw dressing had about 1/5 left in the bottle for a full bag of cabbage. No way that was enough to make the Slaw moist, as well as when using Lite Slaw Dressing, you should use the whole bottle. Third, there wasn't enought time to marinade. Besides lack of dressing, there wasn't enough time for what dressing there was to mix with the cabbage. Use these few tips next time when mixing your own homemade slaw for an improved result. Overall, I rate this Cole Slaw at a C-.


3 comments:

  1. WOW. Sounds like that slaw will only ever b Display Slaw. If there's anything Lite in there u should know it's not gonna b great. It's like milk, u gotta go Fat Milk, Light just doesn't cut it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I thought I was eating someone organic." I'm concerned that you are eating organic people. Are you related to Jeff Dahmer? Should I be concerned when I spend the night at your house? I do consider myself somewhat organic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I realize that this is a cole slaw blog but how was the chicken and mushroom dish? I am hoping that they were not free range chickens that were used.

    ReplyDelete